Monday, May 19, 2008

It's done, now to move onto the next

thing I need to accomplish.

I graduated Saturday. The countdown until that day has finally been completed. I can officially say I never have to go to class again. All pretty good feelings!

It was an incredibly busy, but fun, weekend. I took off early on Friday and went to my mom's house where I helped for awhile with figuring out decor for my party and the cake, it probably wasn't as productive as it should have been but I wasn't really in the mood to be that productive that day and everything was accomplished before the party so it obviously wasn't a big deal. My real dad, from Arizona, flew in and took Mandy, Johnny, and I to the melting pot for dinner. It was SO good! It's the last time we're going to go there before we move so I enjoyed every bite! We usually go to dinner with my dad when he comes in but it's always restaurants that are loud and where you can get in and out in an hour, so this was good because we actually had some time to talk.

We woke up bright and early on Saturday. We had to go pick up several things before we got started decorating so we went grabbed ourselves some delicious Pike's Place to wake us up and headed down to the Nuanes house to pick up a lot of the food for the party. Loretta made Green Chili Chicken Cheese Enchiladas and they were amazing. She made Johnny and I a casserole specifically for us as well (I need to go get it from her fridge). After that we went to my mom's and strung white lights all across the backyard and hung some red accents from the strands. It looked really cool. We also helped clean up the house and take care of all the other stuff that needed to happen. Then I went to get ready for the graduation. You know, it kinda felt similar to my wedding day. Not the immense joy of marrying my husband, but the running around from place to place to finalize all the last minute touches, rushing to go get ready, and hoping that you remembered everything you need! Which, in fact, we didn't. Sadly, we forgot our camera. :-( I know my family took a lot of pictures but who knows when I'll get my hands on those. So no pictures today friends. We also forgot my card box and a change of shoes for the after-party. None of which were that big a deal, but I hate forgetting things. As usual, we were running out the door at the last minute and I was a little late for sign-in. Thankfully, most of us "college graduates" are slackers and showed up at the last minute!

The convocation was long, be glad you weren't there! A good experience but none the less... Lets just say that we were all business students, not communication students, for a very good reason. Our key note speaker was terrible and the Masters Valedictorian was a computer nerd. However, the valedictorian for the BBA's was really good. She focused her speech not on how we need to change the world, but on how we need to not forget the relationships around us and focus most of our efforts on developing those. She was married and going to give birth in 6 weeks and I, being that I am married, thought it was really great that she accomplished that because I'm sure she probably got the same flack that I did about not being able to finish if I got married.

The party was fun, all the Garcia family showed up... a real surprise actually. I really only expected my nan so to have my aunts and uncles there was a shock, but pleasant. It was mostly older friends and friends of my family that came. Thank you Gramanita for that really cool graduation collage! The only friend that showed was Nikki Sandoval as she was jumping from grad party to grad party- I thank her for that. Thanks Gonzalez's for thinking about coming even though it was too late. So it was a little sad but at the same time I understand kinda. I know others had other family members graduation parties to attend. I also thank Sara Trammel for remembering and sending me that text, she was the only one! I love you Sara! I guess it just made me realize that most of my ties here really have been severed and I'm ready to move on to my next adventure! So now it's time to move on, graduation is over so now it's full speed ahead with packing. I leave in 29 days but really only have 3 weeks to pack and be ready to go. Time for the craziness!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

So a big CONGRATULATIONS from us here in NY! I wish we all lived a bit closer so we could celebrate special occasions together. It's kinda sad, but I'm glad that there is open communication with everyone. Keep us updated with all your exciting news! God bless you guys!

Martha said...

More CONGRATULATIONS! from NY. Albuquerque is just a little too far away... I'm so glad you finished and can move on to bigger things without any regrets.

Anonymous said...

Congrats from here too...it's good you got to say your thanks to people here, but make sure to send thank you notes...if even in emails...there are some people out there who never forget that you never thanked them properly and therefore decide that you're too ungrateful for their efforts again. Remember that now and forever...even small gestures need great thanks or the small gestures become no gestures.
Congrats grad...good luck in your adventures.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug and Amanda said...

Tori! I love you and I am proud of your accomplishments! I tried to find you at graduation, but it was a madhouse!