Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Glitter!

It twas 10 days before Christmas and the house was decorated with care. The ornament and lights glittered quite fair!

Though not finished, but she still had 10 days until Santa would be there! Still some ornaments to hang from the ceiling and a back porch to clean so the tree could be moved back into place,

But at least the stockings had already been hung from the window sill with care.

Ok, so I'm not a poet... I'll leave that to my sister and get down to business. This year decorating the house was odd. Which makes being away from home just that much more difficult. When it comes to Christmas, I love tradition! I always decorate the day after Thanksgiving... ALWAYS! But this year, it was a little different. We started a new tradition going out and cutting down a real tree- except the kick-off year of this tradition had me alone instead of with my other half. It was a great time being with friends but hopefully on our second annual year, my husband will actually be able to be there! This threw me off because I always want to wait for him to decorate and he didn't even get off that Sunday night until 10! I tried to stay up but it just didn't suit. So we waited until Monday to see what we'd do. My husband works hard, so I can't blame him, but he just doesn't seem to be feeling it this season. I ended up decorating the tree while watching Lost on on DVD and my husband looking on relaxing on the couch. No Christmas music or movie to get us into the season. It was late that night too (the result of both working) and instead of decorating everything at once, much got forgotten. So over the last two weeks I've been trying to finish but can't see to find the time to get things accomplished. I bought some new ornaments for our strangely barren tree. The red leaves/hearts and the gold ones with gold glitter are new but I still needed more. How did I have so few? We left all figurines off the tree this year to appreciate one more Christmas with ornaments that will break when little hands try to appreciate. Our tree will one day become more family friendly but until then no popcorn garland will grace these branches! And still it isn't finished... I don't have tacks, plastic ornaments, or ribbon so the ornaments won't get hung from the ceiling. Once it gets into the negatives, travelling out of doors for such things is not very inspiring. I have an Active party to coordinate and Christmas shopping to finish.... looks like I will be one of the many last minutes shoppers this year! I still have to bake and I have no eggnog. Is Christmas really just 10 days away?

2 comments:

Doug and Amanda said...

Hey, I'm right there with ya! All we got to was the tree, and I still have yet to buy one present for under the tree! Oh well. Thank goodness that is not the true meaning of Christmas! Yet another blessing to count!

Anonymous said...

Your first Christmas away from your family is the saddest thing of all. Last year I wished the holiday to rush by quickly so I could get back to normal life and not think about how sad I was to not be near my family around that time of year. Keep your head up...enjoy the holiday and make the most of it...now's a great time to work on starting new and exciting traditions that will make this season more enjoyable.
Love you!