Monday, February 4, 2008

Refresh

I remember back when I was a little kid and I wasn't that big a fan of church... for a brief period I felt in was unnecessary to go to church and I could have just as strong a relationship with God without going.

Over the past 5 months we haven't been able to go to church that often. Johnny's job always seems to conflict. I went into a brief slump but then had to push myself to really desire my relationship with my savior. In turn, I think it has actually been more rekindled than it was when I was going to church all the time. Both Johnny and I have had to actually seek God on our own and stand firm for Christ even in our secular environments. We could not rely on the constant accountability of those at the church; sometime I feel Christians get drawn into the trap of trying to please other Christians and look like a good Christian and end up not focusing on their own walk with their Father. This separation, having to do it for us, to keep up with our walk even when no one really is watching, has been so good for us.

Now, after all that, I am NOT saying going to church is bad. In fact, God knew exactly what He was doing in providing us a group of brothers and sisters to gather with in His name. When we actually get to go, we are refreshed in a way that's so God helping us through. We sometimes forget why it is so great to attend and our flesh pulls us into laziness. I wish I wouldn't forget!

Yesterday we went to church. It was the first time in a long time that we were able to go and didn't have to leave right away so Johnny could get to work. Fellowship with other believers does something for your soul. It is encouraging, lifts you up, brings you some joy, and is all around just fabulous! We went to the 9:30 service and ended up staying on campus all the way through the last service. We talked in the sanctuary and in the cafe and in the book store just catching up with friends. Talking about life and what God is showing us. I felt so rejuvenated when we were leaving. It's great to go and learn about God's will for our lives and just spend time with those we love! Don't underestimate the benefits of fellowship and learning... I guess that's mostly what I'm getting at.

No comments: