Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Scary!

Ok, so let me start out by saying we are, and have always been, users of technology that seems to make life a little easier. Let me be more clear... Ever since we even started a bank account for ourselves, we have ALWAYS used debit cards! It's easy and all you have to do is make sure you don't hit Zero!

Well, we have decide that since we are moving, we need to be wiser about how we use our money. We are going to try the envelope system... For many reasons really but the two most important are so we can save for expenses we may encounter with our move and transition (or have money for when we come back) and so that we can learn how to spend with a purpose and wisely instead on everything we think we need. Basically a strict budget for how much we're going to spend on groceries, gas, savings, etc. We've never exactly been extravagant in our spending but this will definitely help us to think twice about what we're spending our money on to make sure that's really the best use because once the envelopes are empty we have to wait until the next pay cycle. I've known many who say this idea is the BEST at keeping you on track and helping you save large amounts.

The scary part is really just getting used to it. I'm used to driving down the road and thinking "man I'd really love a vanilla latte" and just swiping my card to get it. I can still have a vanilla latte but it just means I have to have the cash on me to get it or drive all the way home to grab some cash or even realize that the cash is meant for our date night and if I spend it on a latte then I won't get to go somewhere nice. It's just weird! However, I am so stoked to see if it works and if it transforms our spending habits or if we even have the self discipline to stick with it.

1 comment:

James Ranes said...

Hey Guys - Read My Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. It will help. Thanks for the comments Tori on my blog - not horrible at all - this is the best thing I have ever done. Thanks
Jim