Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy 2009!

I just read Kelli O'hea's blog about everything that has occurred in her life over the past year ( I still think it's crazy that it's already 2009 there!) and it reminded me how I so often forget to reflect on all that God has done in my life as well as update you all on what has happened this last year.

Of all the years previous, I feel this is the year God has challenged and grown us the most. I hope to say the same this time next year ;-) Johnny and I faced trials that challenged us as individuals as well as a couple and we learned not only to rely on God's guidance but also to rely more on each other. The trials brought us together and taught me valuable lessons on being a submissive and supportive wife.

As 2008 began we believed we had 8 short months to prepare to move out of the country. We were confident that God was calling us to serve as missionaries in Montreal. I still believe that God put that in our path to serve His purposes... for without such a huge event and trial, we would not have been able to trust in God's provision, to test our willingness to follow Him, or to learn valuable lessons that only strengthened our marriage. By March, the doors once open to Montreal had been very evidently closed. Sad as we were, we did not lose hope that God would open a door elsewhere and continued to pray. We knew in our hearts it was not Albuquerque and were open to wherever He may lead.

A couple months later, Johnny had the opportunity to talk to Levi about Fresh Life. Our hearts always yearned to be here serving the valley and serving alongside some of our best friends but there was never a need for us to join them. We refused to come here just to be with friends; we wanted to be an active part of a ministry. Through the conversation we learned that there was a need! After prayer and consideration we decided that this was were God had us. We could work and serve in Montana and allow God to continue to open doors of opportunity for both of us. We would pack up!

In the meantime, I graduated from college with my BBA in Entrepreneurial Studies and Management. 4 long years but it was finished! I made a commitment that I would not let being married young hinder my education, the education that I feel God had blessed me with due to a scholarship, and that I would finish despite so many people convinced I would drop out. Well I didn't! I feels good to say I have completed what I set out to do and even now I can see how God is using it in our lives by allowing me to get a good job here in the valley that I would not have been able to get without a degree. We also took a vacation to Napa and San Francisco with Johnny's family in June to attend the wedding of his cousin. I love to travel so this was a great opportunity to go out and have a fun family vacation!

We arrived in Montana on June 18th. Johnny's parents got to see the valley and my family came up a few months later. It has been a whirlwind of activity since we arrived! We have done so much from the Active summer camp, to movie nights, baptisms, teaching opportunities, fun events, girls events, staff meetings, and so much more! You never fully grasp how busy you truly will be while being involved in a young church. And we are not even as busy as some here! It has been absolutely great! More doors have opened, Johnny was put on staff as the Assistant youth pastor and helps Coy with all things Active and he also ran the OCC collections. He's also getting a lot more opportunities to teach! I have been working and helping where I can.

It has been 6.5 months since we moved here. We love it! We love the town, the area, the people, the church! We even love the snow! It's amazing how quickly you adjust. It's still cold but it's not as cold as you would imagine. We miss our family and friends of course... so just let us know when you want to visit ;-)

The holidays were different for us this year. We just hung out with staff and a few other friends. We missed our families but it was nice just being able to go one place and stay there. It was very relaxing and fun! I think that's what holiday's are supposed to feel like.

As 2009 approaches, just a few more hours, I know God will be doing so much more! There are already a couple things on the horizon that are super exciting. It will mean tons more work but that's the exciting part! We will have adjustments and challenges I know, but I love seeing what God is doing in the small valley I now call home. So on that note, Happy New Year to all. I hope God does great and moving things in your life this year and I hope you all seek to have a deeper relationship with Him. Enjoy the fireworks!!!! (Kalispell lights off fireworks on New Years!)

3 comments:

jennie said...

wow! when it's summarized like that, i wonder how we're keeping up! what a busy year...we're so thankful to God that you two are here!

Doug and Amanda said...

Whew! Busy kids! We miss you guys. Oh, and by the way, don't post stuff like this...it makes me feel lazy!

Martha said...

You have had a busy year! Enjoy it while you are young and able to keep up. God is good and although we are seldom together, we love you and pray that you will follow Him where ever He leads. It is awesome to see God work in our family.